Tuesday 7 September 2010

The Memories Are Now Sepia

When I hear about people's first memories they generally are funny or about the things toddlers do and say, maybe swearing or eating worms. The things I remember are all coloured sepia and again, not quite the usual.
I can't remember dates and to be honest I don't know what order my memories go in as with a lot of things in my family, they are not talked about.

So I spent a great deal of time in hospital when I was younger as I was born with a heart murmur. If you look back to my previous posting you'll remember that my Pa was in the Army, so that makes me an Army brat. I do remember that any treatment I had for both my heart murmur and my asthma was always in military hospitals, one of which was located near Aldershot in Surrey I believe.

I remember watching Playschool there on a little TV with about 3 other kids. Toast that the nurses had put butter on (I refused dairy back in the day. Not much changed now though) Waking up each night screaming but being comforted by a man in khaki scrubs and being played Pink Floyd's 'Echoes'
I can't remember anything else, any operations or treatment. And again, it's something the family won't talk about.

My other great pre school memory is the near death experience I had when I was about the same age, in some part of the world were clothes would make you sweat and overheat. I remember clearly falling into a pool and being face down with my arms and legs seemingly dangling and everything was coloured in shades of sepia. I'm told (for once) that a young man dived into save me and I wasn't breathing, that the parents had taken their eyes off of the metaphorical ball, and that with a bit of persuasion and kneading of the body I was breathing again, all in a matter of moments, and no doubt within the hour I was running around like a little nutter again.

But everything was calm and sepia. That is clearly imprinted into my memory

1 comment: